Sunday 18 October 2015

Tiny Essentials Tote Bag Sew Along: Day 1.

It's here, it's here!

Finally we can start the Tiny Essentials Tote Bag sew along.



Get ready for a week of fun, learning new skills and sewing up the cutest bag around!

So here is the deal - each day I will be posting in my FB Group (and on my FB page) a link to my blog post with details for that day. (If you are unable to join in as we go, the info will stay on my blog for the future if you would like to refer to it at a later date).



By now you should have purchased the pattern and read through it a few times as well as printed and cut out the pattern pieces and the cutting chart, if not you can still purchase the pattern via my website.

Before you get cutting, I want to talk about the importance of planning. For every design I create whether it be a new pattern, sewing a bag or clothing, I create a mood board.

A mood board exists as a tactile and visual sandbox, allowing you to experiment and play with aspects of the design before jumping in a cutting your precious fabric.

So as part of this sew along, why don't you give a mood board a go?
They really can be as simple or as complex as you like. They can be made digitally or you could make one on paper with fabric off cuts and cut photos from magazines or similar.

Things to consider when making your mood board for this sew along:
- Fabric combinations
- What will the bag be used for (this will determine the way your pockets are designed)
- Any special features you might like to add

Here is my mood board for the sew along:





I am making my bag for a young lady, I want it to house girly pretties as pictured. I have chosen the fabric range - Wee Wanderer by Sarah Jane Studios as I find it inspiring and ever so sweet. I also want to add some bag bling from Emmaline Bags.

I would love you to share your mood board in my FB group or on instagram (Make sure to use the #TETSAL), have fun making it!

Mood boards now complete................you need to cut out all of the pattern pieces. Take extra note that the interfacing is not the same size as the fabrics, this is to help make sewing the seams less bulky at the end of the pattern so be careful cutting these.

Once you have cut all of your pattern pieces, fuse the interfacings and fleece to the fabric.

That is all for Day 1. Easy right!

See you tomorrow for Day 2.

Happy Sewing,
Kylie. X

No comments:

Post a Comment